Summer is in full swing and we're staring lazy, hazy August square in the face (where does the time go?). No need to sweat it: I've scoured the shops on foot and online in search of deals and versatile must-haves to see us through summer's final stretch.
Three quick & easy steps to go from beach to beach party
1. Sport this season's hottest bikini
Score this Melissa Odabash bikini ON SALE (quick!). Odabash's swimwear has developed a cult following ever since a certain Goopster sported several suits on holiday. I wrote about that famous bikini bod here. Melissa Odabash ($129.99)
2. Sunset Primp
Do a little post sun damage control with this shimmery multi-tasking dry oil. Bonus: if you have thick, curly hair like mine, rub a little on the ends to tame frizzies. (P.S. This oil works wonders on pasty winter limbs as well). Nuxe Huile Prodigieuse Multi-Usage Dry Oil w/ Golden Shimmer, $39)
Wrap salty, frizzy tresses in these ouchless, discreetly colored hair ties by Kitsch. ($9.99)
3. Quick Change
ON SALE! Pop this lite, jersey knit tank right over your bikini. This sheer, drapey wardrobe workhorse (you will wear it year-round) shows off sun-kissed shoulders and doesn't cling. T By Alexander Wang (55% off: $33.30)
Cutoffs: From East Hampton to Nantucket to Malibu, cut-offs go anywhere in the summer (and the fall). Avoid being a Daisy Duke punch line by mixing up proportions (think tight short-shorts, drapey top). Pictured are Current Elliott Boyfriend Cut-Off, ($176). Or try these, by Gap.
Investment piece alert! This versatile envelope clutch will be your go-to all year, for many years. Leather clutch, Clare Vivier, ($180).
On Sale! These classic, strappy leather sandals with some 'tude from J. Crew will be your friends for summers to come. J. Crew, ($159.99 PLUS additional 40% off via current promo).
Drop Earrings: A Boop Favorite! These Stella & Dot stunners are outfit-makers. We own a pair! Stella & Dot, ($49).
Laid-Back Summer Night Glam.
1. Maxi Dress: Grab this easy and sophisticated soft jersey dress on sale and while supplies last. By hot designing duo Chinti & Parker ($137.50, originally $275).
2. Hammered gold hoops: IMHO gold hoops are a wardrobe staple. Marra Design ($60+)
3. Purse: Once again, the very versatile leather envelope clutch: Clare Vivier (see above).4. Strappy leather sandals like these delicate, Italian-crafted beauties go with anything. Pictures: Visconti & Du Reau ($255, on sale). Also try gladiator-style sandals from Target, ($15! I have them in turquoise).
5. All-you-need Makeup: The most versatile, easy-to-apply makeup stick you'll ever own. For cheeks, lids...anywhere you need a dap of natural, shimmery color. Nars The Multiple in South Beach (my favorite shade: I'm freckled and fair). Nars, ($39).
Day to Night & Everything In-Between.
1. Slip dress: This basic piece will easily take you through early fall with the right accessories. Joie ($268)
2. Fedora: I'm loving this snappy classic right now. Above, San Diego Hat Company ($58). Mine, to the right.
4. Denim Jacket: Choose this old classic in lieu of a sweater for a little edge. American Eagle Outfitters ($49.95)
5. Evening papers: These blotting natural papers absorb excess oils without disturbing makeup. Bonus: clutch-sized packaging! Tatcha ($15).
7. Studded Sandal: I'm of the belief that a summer closet can't have enough flat, strappy sandals and these are on sale! J. Crew ($99.99 + 40% off, final sale).